Cathedral church for the Warsaw-Praga diocese located at 3 Floriańska Street in Warsaw. It was built in 1887 – 1904 and consecrated in 1901. The church has the form of a three-nave basilica with a transept. It has two tall towers and a third lower one (turret). In the front facade, made of raw brick, several mosaics were placed above the entrances, including the figure of Christ, the coat of arms of Praga or the coat of arms of the first bishop of Warsaw and Praga, Kazimierz Romaniuk. There is a baroque figure of St.Florian – the patron saint of firefighters, who, together with St.Michael the Archangel is the patron saint of the temple. The temple is considered by architecture experts as a model of Polish sacred architecture and that is why many designers of other churches followed its example.
The temple, like a large part of Warsaw, did not survive during World War II. The church was blown up in September 1944 during the retreat of the Germans from Warsaw. Only fragments of the structure and walls, on which the statues of the patron saints of the temple stood, have survived. From the side of the presbytery, the painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa has also survived. The reconstruction lasted until 1972, and its authors were the inhabitants of Praga. Interestingly, the reconstruction of the church was carried out with great accuracy and attention to detail – to the extent that bricks were used that were produced in the 19th century.
On March 25, 1992, the Church became the cathedral of the newly established (based on the decision of Pope John Paul II) of the Warsaw-Praga diocese, and in 1997 it was elevated to the dignity of a minor basilica.
It can be said that in addition to its sacred character, the temple is also a monument to the character, diligence and joint effort of the inhabitants of Praga, who took care of its reconstruction themselves. This fact, combined with the obvious visual advantages and monumentality of the building, makes the church a building that definitely deserves to be the sacred center of Praga.