The Praga Steel Works at 2/4 Szwedzka Street

knowledge base


The history of the former Praga steel plant dates back to 1878, when the company “Lilpop, Rau and Loewenstein” obtained permission to build a new steel plant. After a year, the steel plant produced railway rails, rims for wagon wheels and components for railway car chassis.
After three years of operation, the steel plant became the largest plant in the Kingdom of Poland and produced over 80% of the kingdom’s railroad rails.
Almost a third of the employees were from abroad.
It is said that it was the plant on Szwedzka Street that initiated the industrial development of the district.
The area functioned as a steel plant until 1888, and later Russian artillery workshops were placed in the buildings. After Poland won independence in 1918, the area was taken over by the Polish Army and armories were organized here. Military equipment was repaired on site, a laboratory for rifle prototypes was established and there was a shooting range. During World War II, the armory was taken over by the German army.
In 1944, before the entry of Russian troops, part of the plant was blown up.
After the war, the area was used by the Polish Army.

Steelworks today

Currently, the plant houses various studios and an event hall where concerts are organized
The steel plant includes a production building, a warehouse, a fragment of a production hall, and an administration building.

photo gallery

virtual tour


Szwedzka 4, Warszawa

Skip to content