The Różycki Bazaar, commonly known as Różyc, is located at Targowa 54.
The founder of the market was a pharmacist from Warsaw, owner of several pharmacies and social activist Juliusz Różycki. The bazaar opened in 1882 and became the main shopping center in Praga.
The originator of the market and its administrator was Manas Ryba, who managed the market from his home at Targowa 56.
There were five gates to the bazaar, the whole area was fenced with a decorated cast iron fence. The bazaar initially had seven roofed stalls with separate stands. Along with the development, small stands in the form of commercial and service booths began to appear.
Around 1901, the owner of the bazaar built a seven-meter-high kiosk at the gate from Targowa Street. It was an original blue siphon-shaped construction. There was a sparkling water sales point inside. Over time, the kiosk became a symbol of the market and a Prague icon. The siphon stood until 1935, when the heir of the property, Wacław Różycki, was forced to remove it due to its poor technical condition.
The war period
During World War I, there was a crisis at the marketplace. The range of products sold decreased, and in 1915 the Germans began to requisition food and introduce restrictions.
The bazaar suffered the most during the defense of Warsaw in September 1939. At that time, customers could purchase goods rationed by the Germans, coming from German transports and military warehouses.
German soldiers and members of collaborating formations sold weapons and ammunition here, which were then purchased by the Polish Underground State.
Merchants from the Różycki Bazaar tried to help during the war, among others, by donating food to the Ujazdowski Hospital, whose patients were the wounded, and for prisoners from Pawiak. They also looked after the January Uprising Veterans Home, which was located near the marketplace.
Until the ghetto was established in 1940 by the German occupation authorities, Jews were mainly merchants. About 300 Jewish families earned a living in the bazaar. When they were transferred to the ghetto, Poles took their place.
In 1944, when the Warsaw Uprising was taking place on the other side of the Vistula, the bazaar partially burned down. However, the merchants quickly returned to him. During this period, the marketplace developed. You could buy literally anything there, and also bet money in three-card or ‘mirrors’ gambling games. In 1950, the bazaar was nationalized, but private trade continued to flourish. In the 1960s, plans to liquidate the bazaar were born, but this met with strong opposition from the residents.
In the early 90’s the bazaar was still functioning well. The situation changed with the increasing popularity of the competition – the Europa Fair at the Dziesięciolecia Stadium.
The Różycki bazaar did not enjoy a very good reputation at that time. The activities of local gangs made themselves felt, which made the “Bermuda Triangle” (including Ząbkowska, Brzeska and Targowa Streets) one of the most criminogenic parts of Warsaw.
Currently, the fate of the market is in the balance, which the city would like to revitalize.
We hope that the bazaar will always keep its Prague spirit.